Monday, September 9, 2013

BrainStorming Informative Essay


A huge part of my life is sports. Not everyone is interested, but it is rather amazing what people can accomplish with them. I was debating between writing my paper on volleyball or high jump. Volleyball is full of many different skills, but there is not as much detail. I feel like high jump would be better for an informative essay. It is a very technological event. You would not believe what goes into a good jump. I have been doing it for 6 years now, and a rarely do 50% of it right.

            To start off my paper, I would use a statistic. I am thinking I would either use the world record or my personal record. The world record is obviously more impressive, and it is not as personal.

            A huge part of high jump is the approach. I would talk about what speed you use for the first two steps, the next two, the next two, and the final two. There is also a specific angle you should be running at. I would explain why the approach is the speed it is, why it increases in certain areas, and why you must go at a specific angle.

            Next I would talk about the takeoff. There is a specific motion that you must do with your arms to get you to your highest peak. If both arms are not forced into the air, you will not achieve your goal. It is also necessary to take off from the perfect distance. Another important part of the takeoff is the drive of the knee.

            Eventually you will be jumping over a bar. When doing this, you must look to a certain area, arch your back at a certain time, look to a different spot, “hit your hips”, and kick your feet. All of these things happen within half a second.

            I could also go into the detail of what gives a jumper certain advantages. People with tall lanky bodies are usually the best.

            There are statistics and research that will back all of these things up, and explain why each part is important in their own way. Coaches all around the world have done research to find out ways to keep getting their jumpers to achieve new heights.

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting. My only concern might be finding research. I bet it's out there, though. Also, you might gain some new knowledge that might help you down the road, too!

    10/10

    ReplyDelete