My alarm started blaring at 4:30 in the morning, but
I was not going to complain about it! I got ready as fast as I could and hopped
into the car. My mom and I were making our way to Orion to meet 11 others that
were just as excited as I was. Once everyone had met, we headed off to the
O’Hare Airport in Chicago. We made a few pit stops on the way of course, be we
finally arrived. As we were boarding the plane, my heart started pounding and I
wanted to cry. Airplanes are not my cup of tea. It was time for take-off. We
were in the air, and everything was better. We were on our way to Europe!
We arrived in London and were moving right off the
bat. Everyone was facing jet-lag, but obviously we didn’t care. We were in
London! The hotel we stayed in was a little shabby to say the least. It was in
the ghetto outside of London. Our luggage was put in a dungeon-like area. It
was dark, cold, and the doors didn’t lock. But we all got over it and put on
our smiles for the camera. We headed to the Tube and before we knew it, we were
walking out of the station and staring at the London Eye. It is a huge Ferris
wheel that allows you to see all of London from an aerial view. Not only did we
see all of London, but we saw specific filming areas from the Harry Potter movies!
We went down the creepy allies that Harry and his friends did. They were dark
and the stone we walked on was uneven and somewhat broken. I developed a new
love for the movies because of that trip. And of course, we got to see the
royal castle. It was huge and the crowds were ridiculous! But our lovely tour
guides kept us together and brought us to areas with great views. The flag that
indicates that the queen is in the castle was up, so I basically feel like we
should have made the cover of UsWeekly. Those were just a few of the things we
did that were on the itinerary. Our lovely tour guide, Gwen, gave us loads of
free time. We went shopping at the fancy stores with London fashion, ate at the
different little restaurants that you can’t find hear, and yes we had fish and
chips. I hate fish, but I actually loved what they served us! But eventually we
had to leave. A bullet train was a form of transportation that took us to
Paris, France! It was awesome, and Alec Mason was lucky enough to sit with my
blabbering self the whole way there.
Paris is one of the most romantic cities in the
world, but I was definitely thrown off at first. We arrived in a dirty area,
but after a wait, we soon got to see the magic. The first famous landmark we
visited was Notre Dame. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was huge with detailed
design all over the entire building. One of my favorite things we did was go
shopping down the most famous street of fashion in Paris. I didn’t buy much,
but it was just awesome knowing all the famous people shop there frequently.
Another thing I thoroughly enjoyed was the “Paris by Night” boat ride. It was a
boat tour that started when the sun went down, and it just took us along the
city. We got back when the sun was down, and the Eiffel Tower was glowing
green, yellow, red, and blue. Gwen told us that it has never lit up with those
colors before! We were very proud we got to see it like that. Another time we
saw the Eiffel Tower, we just took a lot of adorable pictures. The sky was a
beautiful color of blue with few clouds, so it made the perfect background when
combined with the Eiffel Tower! The crepes in Paris were delicious. They had so
many different kinds ranging from sweet with Nutella and bananas to chicken and
cheese. My mouth is watering talking about them! But it was time to say goodbye
to Paris, and hello to a little cubby that holds six people with enough room
for maybe two. It was time for the night train that would be taking us to
Italy!
We traveled to a few different cities in Italy: Florence,
Assisi, and Rome. My favorite of the three was Florence. We walked around and
bargained with the salesmen on the streets all day! But before we went
shopping, Alli, Terrah, Haley, Adrienne, Linda, Mrs. Kershaw, Ms. Ashcraft, and
I made our way up to a beautiful balcony that gave us the best view of
Florence. I have never seen anything so gorgeous in my life, nor have I ever
loved water so much. Besides the fact that we were dripping in sweat and
extremely tired, that was one of my favorite parts our entire trip. And we got
to reward ourselves with gelato, so it was totally worth it! Next we traveled
to Assisi and spent our day walking around and viewing its adorable little
stores and restaurants. It was a small little city with stone streets, gorgeous
fountains, and huge statues everywhere. A group of us girls went to the cutest
family restaurant that filled our stomachs to the brim. It was delicious.
Although we loved Assisi, we were pumped to go to Rome. I fell in love with the
Coliseum. It was so old and falling apart, but it was sturdy enough to walk
around and enter the inside. We also got to visit the Trevi Fountain, and throw
our coins in. The water was so blue, and there were so many people crowded
around trying to get a chance to toss one in, too. All in all, Italy was my
absolute favorite. It consisted of my favorite view, land mark, and of course,
food!
This trip was an amazing experience for me in so
many ways. I learned so many things about the culture and history of different
countries. It is definitely something I will never forget. I got to travel the
world with four of my best friends, and make new relationships with others. It
also gave me an appreciation for America’s traffic laws and ice cold drinks.
Oh how I miss Europe! This was a great explanation of the trip, but it was just an explanation. I think that you should add more emotion into your litte story here. It is a lot of stuff to write about since we did SO MUCH in SO LITTLE AMOUNT OF TIME. If I were you, I would focus a little more on Italy since you said it was your favorite spot. You talked a lot about Florence, but not much about Rome(the best city in the world). Also, I would mention that Assissi is the catholic capital of Italy. At least, I think that was what Gwen said. If you are talking about London more, I would explain what Harry Potter buildings we saw and how we tried to take pictures of everything. I would also mention that we weren't planning on the cold weather and how hard it was to find the perfect telephone booth and double decker bus. I like your explanation of Paris. I definitely thought it was dirty, too. I also thought the Pariseans(spelling?) were a lot ruder to us tourists.
ReplyDeleteI would also talk about how different all of the cultures were. Compare them to each other and the cultures of the United States. Yes, this means bringing Sociology into English 101(ew), but I think it will help the reader relate to your story and understand how you were feeling about being across the ocean.
Love the story! Of course, the trip too. Glad I was forced to read it!
I feel like I know more about Europe after reading this. But as Adrienne said, more emotion would be nice. I think you should get more in depth with certain places. Don't get me wrong, it is nice writing I just feel it lacks in some areas. Makes me wish I went on the trip!
ReplyDelete