Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Myself as a Writer

I gained a lot more experience through out the Honors English III course last year. We did a lot of different essays, assignments, and writing styles. When I first start a writing assignment, I start with finding main ideas that I can support really well. This helps with my thesis statment. After that, I create an outline. Before last year, I just made the shortest outline possible to get it done. But I learned that if you create a very detailed outline, the essay comes together better. The next step for me is to create the rough draft. It is most definitely a rough draft, though. I like to have some one peer edit it to see mistakes I don't. After I consider their suggestions, I go over it again to see if I see any more issues. Then I try to complete my final copy. Another benefit from last year is that I discovered a few strenghts when it comes to writing. I finally got to the point where I transition from one thought or idea to another without even thinking about it. It is important to pick main ideas that you can really support and go into depth about, and I am usually good at selecting those. I also use good grammer when I write. Sometimes I have those issues, but I can catch them on my own for the most part. But when there are strenghts, there are always weaknesses. When I write, I feel like I don't sound very sophisticated. There are papers you read that just sound nice, and I feel like I lack that. I also have issues writing thesis statements. I always want to say too much. My vocabulary could definitely be widened as well.

Taking on a college course as a senior in high school is a rather tough task. I am excited for the learning experience, but I am a little nervous. One thing I loved about last year was that we turned in out "Final Draft", but you made your comments and allowed us to change it one more time. Is that something we will be doing again this year? It helped me so much. Besides that question, I am ready to take on this class. Something that I really want to improve upon is being able to write a research paper yet make it exciting at the same time. I don't even want to read my own research papers. That is how horrible I think they are. Another thing I want to get better at is my work-cited page. It is pathetic because you told us what to do step by step, but I still suck at citing my resources. I never really know what I need to do. But the main thing I want is to just become an even better writer. I want to be able to be given a prompt and just be able to nail it with total confidence.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like honors was a good class overall! I'm glad you feel that you've improved. I think that with more writing, you'll start to overcome some of your other weaknesses. We'll work on things like vocabulary next semester for sure.

    I will TRY my best to comment on your drafts before you turn in the final draft. I'd really like to, and I will work hard to do so. The only problem with that is I'll be grading SOOOO many essays this year with this class, honors, and teaching nights at BHC. But I'll make a promise that I'll try and do this again.

    We'll be writing a research paper second semester as well as a smaller one this semester. So you'll get some good practice.

    Keep confident! You're going to do fine!

    10/10

    ReplyDelete